- Name: Tess
- Follow Tess:
- Location: Guisborough, Scotland
- Riding with Marin since: 2023
- Who is Tess? Tess is an enduro rider based in the north east of England. She started riding late, at the age of 25, and was instantly hooked despite being terrible at it! As someone who is risk adverse, MTB did not come naturally to her, but through perseverance and practice she has conquered her fears and ridden far more challenging tracks and features than she ever would have dreamed of. She has completely fallen in love with the sport as it keeps her fit and happy, as well as allows her the opportunity to visit amazing places and hang out with awesome people. Tess shares her MTB journey through social media (@mud_and_no_makeup on Instagram) to encourage more people to get involved, and to show that you don’t have to be an expert to get the most out of it.
- Must have MTB accessory for a ride? A good quality, well-fitting helmet. We only get one head – look after it!
- What would be your desert island luxury item? Can I bring my campervan that also has my bike in it?
- What size bike frame do you ride? A small, I’m vertically challenged at 164 cm. 😊
- what’s the best piece of riding advice you’ve ever been given? Look further ahead. This works on every trail!
- How did you get sponsored/get into Marin? I’ve been organically growing my social media over the last 7 years to build a supportive and engaged online community, mainly on Instagram (@mud_and_no_makeup). However I also have a YouTube channel and have just started a TikTok under the same handle!
- favourite place to ride? If you’ve seen any of my post in the last 6 months, it’ll be no surprise that the answer is Finale Ligure in Italy!
- favourite event you've been part of? Ard Rock is great fun as there is something for everyone, I’m looking forward to the 2023 event already!
- what inspires you to ride? Keeping my body and mind healthy, having a good time with my partner and friends, exploring new places, enjoying being surrounded by nature, great views... to list a few!
- what's your go-to food & beverage after your ride? I try to have a protein shake within 30 minutes of the end of the ride for muscle recovery, then later on make sure I have a good meal. I like all food and eat a wide variety so I don’t have a staple. If I’ve been organised I will have batch-cooked the day before so it minimal effort. Whatever it is, it’ll be home-made along with a glass of red wine (once fully rehydrated of course!).
- with 3 emojis best describe your riding 🏞️🥳🌦️