Marin is committed to sustainability and working with our retail partners to ensure that we do everything we can to minimize the impact we all have on our environment when prepping a bike for sale. With that, we have implemented a new Green Bear program and will be giving dealers who commit to taking a few steps an icon in our dealer locator.
Our sustainability programs
Recycling & shop supplies
- Our dealers are working on an initiative to reduce the amount of plastics and increase the amount of recyclable materials used in our bike packaging.
- Our dealers will use eco-friendly bike cleaners and lubricants in their service bays.
Recyclable packaging & reuse
- We ship our bikes to minimize waste and maximize the number of bikes shipped per container for efficiency, as well as ensuring that our bikes are well protected in transit. Because having to replace a damaged frame uses more resources, materials and shipping. We are also working on an initiative to further reduce the amount of plastics used. Packaging for our new parts and accessories line utilizes fully recyclable cardboard instead of plastic bags.
- Marin’s offices reuse shipping cartons and packaging material such as padding and zip ties to help keep usable items out of the waste stream. Order small parts or apparel from Marin, and the items will likely not arrive in new packaging.
- Our bikes are designed to provide long-lasting enjoyment, and are generally made of fully recyclable materials, such as aluminum and steel.
- We're proud to be a launch partner with Call2Recycle and PeopleForBikes' industry-wide, voluntary ebike battery recycling program, to make sure that all electric bicycle batteries end up properly recycled and out of landfills. Learn more about this important program here: https://www.call2recycle.org/e-bikes/
Carbon offsets & green energy
- Where possible, please offset your shop’s carbon emissions. There are many great plans and programs, and we encourage you to work with one that you believe in.
- Marin employees who travel to the office via pedal power, public transportation, or carpooling are rewarded with commuter credits.
- Green energy options are available from most utilities, and its a great way to help ensure that the energy used is from more sustainable sources.
Trail maintenance & local initiatives
- Support and promote local initiatives that promote sustainability. Encourage shop staffers to commute by bike or use public transportation when possible. Buy local.
- Organize at least one “Tidy Trails” cleanup day per year Please contact your sales rep at Marin for support.
- Our modern factory has been independently verified and vetted by third parties, and is a safe workplace that pays competitive local wages and upholds human and labor rights.